Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Steaming Pile of Bull

I fully understand that it doesn't matter what job I may have, regardless of what company employs me, that there is politics that goes along with it. There's always someone who complains, a lazy person that should have been fired and then there's the workers who get run over by the big yellow bus.  I'm currently in the process of being thrown under the bus by management and a co-worker who is my opinion a dictator.

Until recently, I was working 12 hour shift where I work two days, off two days and every other weekend.  Management decided to switch up the schedule and put it into effect just before the summer months.  It included getting rid of the 12 hours shifts and turning them into 8 hour shifts.  I believed I would be working Monday to Friday with weekends off.  How could things go wrong with that thinking?  I was looking forward to having every weekend off.

Before the new schedule went into effect, I knew there would be an issue with submitting summer vacation. I attempted to confirm with management what my schedule would/could look like so I base what I'd like to have off around what I was working.  What happened? Management decided playing stupid and not knowing what the schedule looked like was the way to go. What? That's your job to know since you've been planning the changes for a couple months.   Red Flag anyone?

Eventually, the department was given 28 days notice about the new schedule.  I was told that I would have every Wednesday and every other weekend off.  One day off through the week and doing a job that I'm not trained on during the weekends? WTF? Seriously,  what was management thinking?  For those who went from 12 hour shifts to 8 hour shifts, all of us were bent over and screwed.

Here is where things get slowly f*@ked up.  The first three weekends that I was scheduled went off without a hitch.  I worked according to what I was scheduled.  On the fourth weekend, as I initial the sign-in sheet I notice that I'm not doing the job/duties I had previously done.  I get in touch with management to find out and why I'm doing something different from previous weekends.  I was told that management "has the right to place staff where needed at any time".  I stated that it would have nice to have been given a "heads-up" about the change.  I also thought after wards that a follow up conversation would have take place to discuss what happened.

Then the fifth weekend comes along.  On the Friday, a co-worker tells me that she and I will be doing what had originally assigned to do.  Again, what?  How is it that a co-worker is verbally told this and I'm not?  I come in for that first shift and the sign-in sheet clearly shows that I was back to job I was originally assigned to do.  From there, the proverbially pile of bull starts to hit the fan.

Phone calls are had, management talks with a few people in the department and I'm given a run down on what has been "possible" said.  The partial phrase "refusing to do ward trays" comes up and I think who is refusing?  Not only that I know exactly who said it.  It's a co-worker that gets up into every one's business and dictates what goes on in the department. A busy body who has no business acting like management and needs a severe head slap  to remind them focus on doing their own job and not worry about what everyone else is or isn't doing.

{paused for a phone call from work}

The weekend ends with me being righteously pissed off and wanting to thrash something.  It leaves me wondering why I'm not closer to retirement age.  The next morning I come into work as per my schedule.  Four hours later, I'm informed that I'm on paid suspension until a HR meeting is arranged.  I leave for a couple days off.  I just got the phone call telling me that the meeting is tomorrow.  Of course, I'm now fretting about what's going to happen tomorrow.  I'm completely worried that I'm going to lose my full time job and pension because of the stupidity of management.  I seriously hope not. I only hope that the pile of bull lands on somebody else tomorrow morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Unwanted phone calls

In the last five minutes, I've gotten two  unwanted phone calls.  The first one for air duct cleaning, which allows me to make a choice....