Saturday, November 12, 2016

Remembrance Day 2016

I'm one of the few that has November 11th as a day off and I'm very grateful for everything that the Canadian military does for us.  Twenty five years ago, I was lucky enough to serve in the military for three years.  I was stationed at CFB Trenton for the most of that time.  While I was there I lived on base and I got use to arriving and departing airplanes.  I wish my contract had been renewed for another three years.  All in all, I loved the time I spent in the military and I wouldn't change it for the world.

This picture is from CFB Cornwallis - basic training.  The only time I was legally allowed have a gun.  Well, it was a working gun without real bullets. 

I didn't time my day very well either.  If I had, I would have been at the cenotaph in downtown London for the services on Remembrance Day.  However, I did manage to pay my respects by visiting the 1st Hussars museum.  http://www.museumsontario.ca/museum/First-Hussars-Museum

I'm probably not suppose to do this but I'm going to copy and paste a portion of the Wikipedia page:

Foundation and organisation

The 1st Hussars traces its roots to the formation of the St. Thomas Troop of Volunteer Militia Cavalry in March 1856 and the First Troop of Volunteer Militia Cavalry of London in July of the same year. In 1863, these units were redesignated the St. Thomas Troop of Cavalry and the London Troop of Cavalry, respectively. Both troops were put on active duty in southwestern Ontario in response to the Fenian raid of 1866, but neither had contact with the invading forces.
The two troops were consolidated under one headquarters, forming the St. Thomas and London Squadron of Canada in January 1867. Both troops were again called into active service during the 1870 Fenian invasion, but again neither saw action.
In May 1872, the squadron was expanded with four additional cavalry troops, for a total of six, to become the 1st Regiment of Cavalry, headquartered in St. Thomas. Subunits included:
  • No. 1 Troop - St. Thomas.
  • No. 2 Troop - London.
  • No. 3 Troop - Mooretown, Lambton County.
  • No. 4 Troop - Kingsville, Essex County.
  • No. 5 Troop - Bayfield, Huron County.
  • No. 6 Troop - Unallocated.
No. 5 and No. 6 Troops disbanded in 1874. In 1880, regimental headquarters moved to London, where it has remained to this day. The 1st Regiment of Cavalry was redesignated the 1st Regiment of Cavalry Hussars in 1888, and 1st Hussars in 1892. In 1896 and 1897, the remaining four troops' numbered designations were replaced with letters and the troops were renamed as squadrons.
In February 1905, the regiment moved into the newly built London Armouries at the corner of Dundas and Waterloo Streets, which it used until 1977. By 1913, 'A' Squadron had moved to London from St. Thomas, 'C' Squadron had moved from Mooretown to Courtright, where it was disbanded, and 'D' Squadron had moved from Kingsville to Amherstburg, where it was renamed 'C' Squadron after the disbandment of the Courtright squadron.


Anyway, it was very interesting tour through the museum.  If I am ever asked for something interesting to do, I'll recommend going to this museum.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Unwanted phone calls

In the last five minutes, I've gotten two  unwanted phone calls.  The first one for air duct cleaning, which allows me to make a choice....